National Institutes of Health (NIH) - Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) F31 - Predoctoral Fellowships
- Anticipated 12/2019 ( Previous deadline 12/8/2018 )
- Anticipated 4/2020 ( Previous deadline 4/8/2019 )
The annual deadlines for AIDS and AIDS-related applications are 1/7, 5/7 & 9/7 annually.
For University of Illinois students: The Graduate College will hold an INFORMATION SESSION on the NIH-NRSAs on December 12, 2018 from 1:00 to 3:00 in the Medical Sciences Building Auditorium. Please register in advance.
NIH-NRSA/Kirschstein fellowships support promising graduate students who are pursuing training and research in scientific health-related fields relevant to the missions of participating NIH institutes. Most research-oriented fields in the biomedical, behavioral and clinical sciences are eligible. The fellowships provide up to five years of support.
Participating Institutes & Centers
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
National Eye Institute (NEI)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB)
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR)
National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD)
National Library of Medicine (NLM)
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)
Division of Program Coordination, Planning and Strategic Initiatives, Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP)
- Applicant must be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence.
- The applicant must be at the dissertation research stage of training at the time of award. Note that this does not mean that the applicant must have been advanced to candidacy. It merely means that the applicant must have already begun work leading toward the dissertation and must propose a comprehensive plan for the dissertation project in the NRSA application.
- Applicant must have a baccalaureate degree and be currently enrolled in a PhD or equivalent research degree program (e.g., EngD, DNSc, Dr PH, DSW, PharmD, PsyD, ScD), a formally combined MD/PhD program, or other combined professional/clinical and research doctoral program (e.g., DDS/PhD) in the biomedical, behavioral, or clinical sciences at a domestic or foreign institution.
- Students seeking support for pursuit of a combined degree program (e.g. MD/PhD, DO/PhD, DDS/PhD or DVM/PhD) who seek support for both dissertation research training and clinical training are not eligible for this award, but may be eligible to apply for the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Dual Doctoral Degree Fellowship (F30).
- $24,324 annual stipend.
- Coverage of tuition and mandatory fees.
- Institutional allowance is available for fellowship expenses (health insurance, research supplies, equipment, books, and travel to scientific meetings). See guidelines.
Note for UIUC applicants: Applications require review and approval by the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP). Applications should be submitted to OSP at least one week in advance of the funder's deadline. See OSP webpages for details.
National Institutes of Health
Office of Extramural Research
Contacts within each participating organization
Program Solicitation: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-18-671.html
Categories: Annual stipend of at least $10,000; Social Sciences; Sciences/Engineering/Math; US Citizens, Nationals, or Permanent Residents; Early Years of Doctoral Program; Dissertation Research; Dissertation Write-Up; Fellowship/Grant; Unrestricted
If you have questions or if this listing needs updating, please contact us.